I tried something new last week. I took a lamp shade that had seen better days (and was on the way to my donation pile) and decided to try my hand at painting a pattern on it instead. The result turned out better than I expected for a first attempt. I may have a new hobby. . .
First, I sketched out a design with a pencil, without really having a specific pattern in mind. I opted for a more angular pattern since the lamp base has rounder lines. I know someone will ask what fabric paint, brush, etc., that I used and the answer is: I used almost dried out paint I found in my garage (color is Sherwin Williams Tatami Tan) and one of the kids’ cheap craft brushes. This was just an experiment, after all. And honestly, most projects like these are done on impulse. If I have to plan it out and make a trip to the store, the chances of it actually happening go way down.
My one tip: go over the lines twice so the lines still look solid once you turn on the lamp. It’s not perfect, but I think it’s a fun change:
Read about another lamp shade project I did here.