I’ve bought inexpensive slipcovers from IKEA several times since we purchased our Ektorp sofas but was ready to try something besides my beige go-to. A while ago, I had bookmarked an Etsy shop that specializes in slipcovers for IKEA sofas and finally decided to give it a shot. I chose a kelly green velvet and here are a few thoughts now that it’s in our living room.
- The color is rich! I’d always wanted a green velvet sofa–and this is definitely green. (For reference, I ordered color #V64.) I think it’s especially fun for the Christmas season.
- There are several fabric options but I went with the thick velvet. (They also make covers in linen, flannel and a faux leather I’m curious about. . .) The thick velvet is buttery soft. It feels like laying on the most comfortable pair of pajamas.
- The texture of the fabric made it very easy to put on the cushions. I usually struggle and sweat to get a slipcover on but this was no problem.
- I was very pleased with the fit. I was afraid that a custom slipcover wouldn’t fit as tightly as the ones from IKEA but I have no complaints.
- Costs range depending on your fabric and the sofa model, but the thick velvet was right around $200 (plus $19 shipping). When you think about the cost of a new sofa, this seems like a pretty good deal for a completely different look. (And, we really do like the Ektorp. You can’t beat the comfort for the price.)
- It ships from China so be aware of shipping delays. Although, I was pleasantly surprised that mine arrived within the stated 3-4 weeks. I felt good about ordering because they have lots of 5-star reviews.
- For less than $6, you can order samples of any of their fabrics. I’m not known for my patience and decided to order without seeing it first.