I’ve bought inexpensive slipcovers from IKEA several times since we purchased our Ektorp sofas but was ready to try something besides my beige go-to. A while ago, I had bookmarked an Etsy shop that specializes in slipcovers for IKEA sofas and finally decided to give it a shot. I chose a kelly green velvet and here are a few thoughts now that it’s in our living room.
- The color is rich! I’d always wanted a green velvet sofa–and this is definitely green. (For reference, I ordered color #V64.) I think it’s especially fun for the Christmas season.
- There are several fabric options but I went with the thick velvet. (They also make covers in linen, flannel and a faux leather I’m curious about. . .) The thick velvet is buttery soft. It feels like laying on the most comfortable pair of pajamas.
- The texture of the fabric made it very easy to put on the cushions. I usually struggle and sweat to get a slipcover on but this was no problem.
- I was very pleased with the fit. I was afraid that a custom slipcover wouldn’t fit as tightly as the ones from IKEA but I have no complaints.
- Costs range depending on your fabric and the sofa model, but the thick velvet was right around $200 (plus $19 shipping). When you think about the cost of a new sofa, this seems like a pretty good deal for a completely different look. (And, we really do like the Ektorp. You can’t beat the comfort for the price.)
- It ships from China so be aware of shipping delays. Although, I was pleasantly surprised that mine arrived within the stated 3-4 weeks. I felt good about ordering because they have lots of 5-star reviews.
- For less than $6, you can order samples of any of their fabrics. I’m not known for my patience and decided to order without seeing it first.
Betsy baker says
Curious about washing? Machine wash? 🤞
Emily Clark says
Yes! The seller sent me detailed instructions.
I Love the Ektorp sofa shape and I really struggle with finding a cover that does not look messy, because most of them do unfortunate. I do love the color you pick. Wish I could have a velvet cover but I have a cat. Yes. Lets see the christmas version 😍
Can’t wait to see it all dressed for Christmas! I love changing things up so this is an economical way to do it!
It looks amazing.
The green velvet looks beautiful on your sofa and the fit looks great. I love Ikea, but I have never considered buying a sofa because I was not a fan of the upholstery. Now that I know this option exists and based on its five star ratings, I will have to reconsider this option.