One reason I love upholstered headboards for kids’ rooms is because they’re soft (which is great for bed jumping even if it’s technically banned) and they can be a really inexpensive option, if you make it yourself. So, this is exactly what we did for the girls’ shared bedroom soon after we moved in.
(If you Google it, lots of these have been made, and there are plenty of tutorials out there. But, I thought I’d go ahead and share our process, in case you were just curious. Luckily, it’s hard to mess them up. You know our DIY’s don’t get too complicated around here.)
I started by measuring the width of the mattress and figured the height tall enough so that I would still see plenty of the fabric after the pillows were on the bed. You could always be really dramatic and extend it way up the wall. The overall measurement for ours ended up being 36 x 40 inches. This worked perfectly for the width of the fabric so there was no sewing required. (We opted to make fabric covered panels rather than something that would actually attach to the bed frame.)
The rest of the process went like this:
We bought a sheet of particle board and had them cut it to our measurements at the store. I bought foam, batting and 3M adhesive spray at a local fabric store. (I want to say all of my supplies—besides the fabric–cost under $40, but it’s been a while. . .) After cutting the foam to size, we sprayed the board and applied the foam.
At this point, you’re probably asking yourself why I keep saying “we” but there’s just pictures of my dad doing all the work. That’s because this project happened when I was 30+ weeks pregnant with the babies. I just served as “project supervisor”.
Yes, we do have a basketball court on our driveway. Another story for another day.
By the way, we occasionally let my dad do other things besides work when my parents visit. When I was looking through photos for this post, I found this one. The babies came between the time the headboards were made and when we actually hung them in the room:
But, back to the headboards. “We” covered the foam with batting and then stapled on the fabric.
Good work, Dad.
We hung them on the wall using these:
And, a few other ideas for how you might use a similar concept:
Speaking of working on kids’ rooms, there’s still time to enter the PB Kids giveaway and to link up your spaces. (Ends Monday!)